The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
CARL wrote:
I enjoyed episode 2 although not as much as the first episode. It had a bit of a 'filler' feel to it although I thought the boat making experiment was very interesting. Hopefully the 3rd episode will finish on a high! Still the best programme on TV at the moment! :)

My initial thoughts were much as yours Carl as had only watched the first half of this week's episode. However, have just watched the rest of it and felt I learnt quite a lot from the section on the Tomb of Eagles. In fact it was fascinating - Neil Oliver has the gravitas when it comes the archaeology side of things. The boat experiment was interesting inasmuch it informs us that some the ancient Orkadians must have had supreme knowledge of the tides. As Neil Oliver pointed out at the end the programme Andy Torbet and his crew did actually manage to pick an almost unheard of, rare calm day to cross the Pentland Firth - sort of gently stopped Andy Torbet from being too self congratulationary.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
12th January 2017ce
13:22

Messages in this topic: