The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Dog in fog wrote:
After that first day of good weather, we decided to go back to the Ring of Brodgar at night. We took three other lone travellers with us who were staying at the same hostel, and went around 11pm. Too fantastic to describe, but it felt like you could touch the milky way. I wandered off alone around the ring - eyes as big as saucers in the dark - and said hello to a few of the stones. Priceless.

I think you've probably touched on something that links stone circles - I wasn't lucky enough to be at the Ring of Brodgar at night but got high on the blueness of the sky on the day I visited.
A long way south out by Silbury Hill one frosty night a few years back I climbed out of friend's car and had what I can only describe as a transcendental experience when I looked up at the night sky. I had never seen so many stars or felt I could reach up and touch them before. I've seen starry nights at Avebury since, when the Milky Way was clearly visible but have never had quite that intense experience again.
Maybe the key to what links stone circles is in the stars.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th January 2017ce
23:11

Messages in this topic: