The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Did our Neoliths provide basis of modern standardised weights and measures?
2 messages
Select a forum:
I want to suggest, following measurements of the diameters of 350 Neolithic carved stone balls and 24 sites in Kilmartin Glen of cup and ring marks, that the basic measurement used then was the megalithic inch of 23mm, this being the average length of the final section of adult little fingers or 4 barley corns. This translates into 275mm for the megfoot and 828mm for the megyard. This is within the parameters as found by Alex Thom and very close to the modern imperial system.

It is also the case that a container 4x4x3 meginches holds to this day a pint of milk or a pound of barley.

If I'm right then the Neoliths were practical people rather than sophisticated mathematicians as some would have it and inches, feet and yards tied in nicely with the human body and stride then as now.

I'm betting that Harry Potter's wand is also a multiple of 23mm.

Reply | with quote
Posted by TimothyF
16th October 2016ce
18:42

Messages in this topic: