The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Mynydd Llangatwg Forum Start a topic | Search
Mynydd Llangatwg
Round stone - hole in the centre - any ideas?
20 messages
Select a forum:
I came across a strange, circular stone with a central hole - located just below the rock piles/quarried rock, near the ancient cairns at Mynydd Llangatwg (Twr Pen-Cyrn) near Brynmawr. I have some good photos - but as a newbie, can't work out how to attach them...

The stone is lying flat and is around 1.5 metres in diameter and around 70 cms deep. It's not quite perfectly circular, it has some small irregularities at the edges, but does have a circular hole right through its centre. It is also pretty flat across the top. I wouldn't know exactly what to look for in terms of evidence of hand working, especially given its (apparent) age and weathering - but it certainly gives the sense of having been made or cut by humans.

The central hole is interesting too: it's very circular for 75% of its depth and then somewhat less regular towards the bottom.

Anyone else come across this specific stone? or others like it? Any ideas what it might be?

Reply | with quote
Posted by ClydachGeorge
27th September 2016ce
09:03

Messages in this topic: