The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Bill Bryson in Avebury
26 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Kicking up a fuss;) Well founded criticism, or is Bryson highlighting his new book? And a small niggle, he must have seen stones if he parked in the car park, all he had to do was open a few gates.... think I'm on the side of the National Trust....

"Within minutes of arriving, I had paid out £7 for parking, £10 for a ticket to the manor house and garden and £4.90 for the small museum, and I still couldn't find my way around the stones, so I went into the gift shop and bought a big handsome map for £9.99, which meant that I had spent £31.89 at Avebury without even having had a cup of tea. So I went and had a cup of tea (£2.50) and studied my map. Then, feeling ever so slightly grumpy, I went and wandered among the stones and everything was suddenly fine, for Avebury is both awesome and entrancing," he added.

Read more: http://www.westerndailypress.c[...]etail/story.html#ixzz3opCFkByL
Follow us: @WesternDaily on Twitter | WesternDaily on Facebook

I agreed with this bit if you are a complete newbie to Avebury...

The directional signs pointed only to places where you could spend money – the shop, the museum, the café. It would be a kindness if they gave you a map of the site when you paid for parking and admission, but that is not the National Trust way.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
17th October 2015ce
12:56

In reply to:

Bill Bryson in Avebury (moss)

Messages in this topic: