The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Petersfield Heath Forum Start a topic | Search
Petersfield Heath
Pillow Mound?
6 messages
Select a forum:
Visited Petersfield yesterday and flabbergasted by the number - but more especially the size - of the barrows upon the heath. Truly this is one of the finest Bronze Age cemeteries in England, in my experience. Just wouldn't expect it to be here. So thanks to Carl for the prompt made in his usual enthusiastic style. Proper TMA, that.

Managed to find most of the 21 monuments cited on Pastscape - 18, I think. However if anyone knows the heath well would they kindly confirm my assumption that the 'elongated mound' just north of the path from Heath Farm to the northern shore of the pond (eastern end near the road) is a pillow mound... appeared too short and well preserved to be a long barrow. More's the pity. But then Bronze Age cemeteries associated with a long barrow are not unusal.

Cheers

Gladman.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
6th April 2015ce
21:00

2 replies:

Re: Pillow Mound? (GLADMAN)
Re: Pillow Mound? (juamei)

Messages in this topic: