The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Lake District
19 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
juamei wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Mustard - Haven't been myself but the Langdale axe factory looks like it'd be fun if you fancy a bit of a climb!

Definitely well worth a visit. Easy climb if you are relatively fit :)

I'll give it a go next time. How long does it take to get up there at smokers pace? ;)

Hi Evergreen,

I reckon it's at least 1 hour 30 minutes to Pike of Stickle summit from the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. It's probably the same from the New Dungeon Ghyll. The Old DG is the far better pub by miles. That's beer and atmosphere. The time I quote is for someone regularly used to going on the mountains. Add at least 30 minutes to 1 hour for someone unused to it. It's a steep route. The direct route up the scree from Mickleden is a treadmill of legendary proportions, and although the distance is shorter the effort is increased exponentially, as will be the time taken.

Please be aware that the descent down the scree is discouraged, but if you keep to the sides little damage will be done. It's exceptionally steep, so if you are unsure of how you will feel I advise you to avoid it. The highlight is the man-made cave, and the numerous evidence of stone flakes from preliminary preparation of the stone axes. Not to mention the incredible mountain landscape of the glaciated Langdale valley and surroundint peaks.

There are other minor stone-axe working sites to be seen on the Langdale Pikes that involve less steep settings, and are well documented on TMA.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it, and hope you have a safe time. Let us know how you get on. If you need any more info feel free to ask, as I'm very familiar with the area.

All the best,

TE.

Sorry for late reply TE, I've been up in that there Orkney (which was wonderful) Thanks for this, will definitely give it a go on my next visit.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
28th July 2014ce
12:54

In reply to:

Re: Lake District (The Eternal)

1 reply:

Re: Lake District (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: