The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Derbyshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Derbyshire
Derbyshire: are mad or what?
3 messages
Select a forum:
The long awaited weekend down in Derbyshire finally arrived and despite the severe gales warning, it was booked, wo we were going no matter what. Saturday was a pleasant start with the short walk to the seven stones of Hordron Edge (where opening the boot I realised I left my walking boots behind), followed by Bamford moor where if I had had any suspicion about the waterproof nature of the boots that I was wearing the general sieve tendancy was confirmed). The heather on Bamford moor is quite high now and the circle takes some finding. Then onto Barbrook to look at all of the circles. By now surprisingly we had glorious blue skies despite the weather forcast. Then to round the day off nicely we took in Froggatt Edge (Stoke Flat) a very pleasant day. Topped off with a pleasant evening in the pub.
Sunday was a little different, but in the frame of mind of "we are here to we might as well make the best of it) So Arbour low it was. Clad in full waterproofs the wind was so strong as to almost blow me back off the style when climbing it and when we got to the henge itself, it was taking your life in your own hands trying to stand upright on the banks.
Deciding that a slightly less exposed site was called for we moved on to the Bull Ring, it took a little finding as there are quite a lot of new houses not marked on the map, but eventually we were there. By this time the wind was getting up more and the rain was even heavier and by the time we got to the centre we decided that was enough and rapidly headed back to the car. At this point I was ready to call it a day, but my friend still was satisfied until we had seen everything on Stanton Moor as well. The wind up there was strong enough to actually blow me onto all fours at one point.
The things is, this is what we call fun, to anyone else they must think we are mad. It was a great weekend.

I suppose if you really want to experience stone circles then you miss a little of the atmosphere if you only go on nice sunny days as the stones are out there in all weathers.

Nine Ladies looks a little sorry for itself as there are several very large ungle BBQ/fire hearths surrounding it.

Reply | with quote
Posted by moggymiaow
27th October 2002ce
16:25

Messages in this topic: