The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow...
38 messages
Select a forum:
I know what you mean. And I don't like to sound an utter cynic, because it'll probably appeal to certain people, and that sort of person will be jolly happy to be popped in a 21st century pseudo longbarrow for eternity, and good luck to them. I mean it's not like you get much of a choice in the end. Mr Rh and I have plans to feed the vultures at the local safari park. But the management probably aren't going to go for it. So it's nice to get a shelf (very neat and I thought a bit ikeaesque) in the new barrow, it's something different from the usual. And that farmer / builder is happy to oblige and happy to take their money. And fair enough. Happy all round. Go for it.

But I can see your point, that it's not really about burying a community of people with shared beliefs and ideas (beyond 'ooh I'd like to be buried in a long barrow') wot is what would have been important to the original long-barrow users. And so your reasons for wanting to be in there seem a bit more flimsy because you don't know what the original views of the longbarrow internees were? Maybe it's like a modern egyptian wanting to be popped into a pyramid (although we know a bit more about ancient egypt because of hieroglyphics). It's going to be a kind of fringe choice. A bit like the vultures.

aah let them get on with it I guess.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
25th March 2014ce
16:51

In reply to:

Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow... (Evergreen Dazed)

1 reply:

Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow... (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: