The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: ...All Cannings Long Barrow...
38 messages
Select a forum:
I've been giving this a bit more thought today. Given that Long Barrows don't seem to have been constructed from scratch as 'barrows' in random places, rather more of an 'evolution' from an already special site, perhaps even a house, this seems to me to be a little 'off'? Sort of putting the cart before the horse, missing the point somewhat?
Also, it seems reasonable to say that Long Barrows weren't really solely intended to be burial sites.

I can understand the need or desire for a special site or area for remains but why build a replica of a Neolithic Long Barrow to do this?
Why not a whole new type of building? I don't really understand the association with Long Barrows.

A long barrow is the final stage at a site, and it is the *place* that holds the key to understanding, not the mound of earth that covers it, surely?

I fear many interested might misunderstand this. Not, I suppose, that it should bother me unduly - but this idea that doesn't sit well with me. Especially with the huge amount of £ involved. It feels to me like selling something that is a little false.

I mean no offence to anybody involved, but can anybody else understand what i'm getting at?

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
25th March 2014ce
12:50

In reply to:

...All Cannings Long Barrow... (tomwatts)

Messages in this topic: