The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: [Off topic]
253 messages
Select a forum:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
A serious comment or a dig/wind up ? I'm not sure, and as I've stated elsewhere, I don't expect anyone to have to believe what I do, and I certainly don't care about having to prove anything to them. I don't, and as for name calling, please! Arrogant ? I think it's arrogant to constantly expect someone to justify their own world view to your own personal satisfaction, or not.

Well I've told you it was a serious comment, and I've even explained it. It's up to you if you wish to carry on viewing it as something else.

If you don't care, then why are you still engaged in this discussion?

I don't think anyone would be expecting you to justify your world view if you weren't presenting it as fact. I'm not sure how it can remotely be classed as "arrogant" to expect evidence or proof of a thing, if you're presenting it as a "fact"? A good few of us here are open-minded to some of your beliefs (dowsing being a case in point), yet you keep calling us "arrogant". You're the one who is adopting an absolute position, refusing to consider the possibility that he might be wrong, so to accuse anyone else of arrogance is just.... odd?

I'm engaged in this discussion because I'm responding to comments, and as for an absolutist position I've said time and time again that I'm 100% convinced in my opinions. I don't see the problem with that, just as I don't have a problem if you or anyone took the position that I'm equally wrong. I do think it is rather arrogant to persistently expect someone to prove themselves to the satisfaction of another person's viewpoint. It doesn't matter. Discussion should allow opposing views without this continual onus on evidence/proof, especially in such diverse and fringe areas eg. the 'paranormal' v current scientific theory.

But if you object to the need to justify yourself, then surely the simplest thing is not to respond?

"arrogant: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"

You are the one saying that you're 100% convinced of your beliefs, based on nothing but your own experience. That's pretty much the dictionary definition of arrogance. Nobody is saying that they're 100% convinced that you're wrong. They're suggesting that evidence is necessary in order to be convinced that something is true. You relate your experiences as factual, 100% real, and absolute. It is perfectly natural that people will question that and ask for supporting evidence under the circumstances. If you don't like that, then don't present your beliefs in such an absolute way, or simply don't respond when people question them.

Discussions don't necessarily require an onus of proof, but when you state something as fact, it's impossible for that discussion to proceed without (a) an onus of proof, or (b) people uncritically accepting your subjective experiences as representative of objective truth.

Ultimately, you're posting on a forum that is (like it or not) predominantly populated by scientifically inclined people. If you intend to post about spiritual, esoteric or similar subjects, you can hardly be surprised when people challenge or question those points of view. Similarly, if I was to post on a spiritually-inclined forum articulating a mechanistic view of the universe, I would expect to have my views challenged.

So firm belief necessitates arrogance ? I don't think so, and this isn't a scientific forum per se, and there's certainly room for esoteric matters considering its subject matter.

You've stated repeatedly that you believe things "100%". That's arrogance.

I agree that there's room for wider discussions on this forum, and I'm sure they'd be welcomed if you approached them in a manner that was respectful of the fact that the forum is predominantly populated by the scientifically inclined.

Try thinking about what *you* could do to improve the discourse rather than consistently laying the blame exclusively at the feet of everyone else.

This topic is locked
Posted by Mustard
11th November 2013ce
11:13

In reply to:

Re: [Off topic] (Astralcat)

1 reply:

Re: [Off topic] (Astralcat)

Messages in this topic: