The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: [Off topic]
253 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:
It's nice to see any hobbyists working with archaeologists , but it doesn't provide any more credibility for dowsing than that of a group of spiritualists diggers would for contacting the "ancestors " .

There are early woodcuts from China showing dowsing and a mid-sixteenth century English print showing miners looking for ore deposits. Elizabeth I had miners from Germany come to England to teach dowsing to their miners.

Efficacy, distribution and history of usage does not categorically ‘prove’ that dowsing works of course but it does show that the practice has been around for a very long time, and right across the world (there are supposed to be cave paintings showing it somewhere).

Just a personal opinion, but until it can be shown categorically not to work perhaps we could keep a respectful open mind on the subject.

The Chinese woodcut does not show what looks like a dowsing rod and I don't believe that there is a description of it from the time suggesting that is what it portrays either .
The early mining treatise written by Agricola De Re Metallica " (1556) does mention dowsing but he is perfectly aware of it's shortcomings e.g. "therefore a miner ,since we think he ouight to be a good and serious man should not make us of an enchanted twig, because if he is prudent and skilled in the natural signs, he understands that a forked stick is of no use to him, for ... there are natural indications of the veins which he can see for himself without the help of twigs. "
I agree , historical usage does not equate with efficacy .
Elizabeth 1 also employed scriers and astrologers ,like dowsing , forms of divination .
The supposed cave painting showing dowsing requires the eye of a lot of faith and much salt .

This topic is locked
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
6th November 2013ce
19:38

In reply to:

Re: [Off topic] (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: [Off topic] (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: