The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
253 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Interesting, cheers. Another slight puzzle to me - If its true that GW originated in Orkney, why do you think Unstan Ware doesn't make an appearance in S Britain? I've read there have been some early dates for GW in the south, is the thinking changing on this? GW didnt necessarily supercede UW (did it?), so if GW did originate in the far north, might we not expect to see UW in the south too?
Last question on this - I promise!

No problem . Dunno if it's much help though .

I can only suggest that Unstan ware was mainly simple bowls and GW more up market and a greater variety of vessel and therefore more likely to travel i.e. Trabant v Audi ?
There is also the possibility/wild speculation that Unstan was associated with either a different group of settlers from those associated with GW or the Unstan users were earlier or indigenous and the GW makers , continental settlers who arrived /travelled south and west later .
The stratification at Pool suggests Unstan preceded GW but they may well have been in use contemporaneously
I don't know of any earlier GW outwith Orkney

Early dates I was referring to were Hillend & Balfarg, I shouldn't have written 'south', but mainland! But, no, none earlier than Orkney.
I was thinking if (big if!) GW originated on the mainland could it explain its distribution further south and also Unstan wares absence. Just speculation anyway but cheers.

Possibly anomalous but one late date of GW in central Scotland at Littleour was 2350- 2030 bc .

This topic is locked
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
5th November 2013ce
17:35

Messages in this topic: