The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Much as I loathe what Beeching did to our rail network, the reality is that a lot of those branch lines were carrying ghost trains because people preferred their cars.

The same can be said today about buses. There’s a decent bus service here to the centre of town but there’s a ten minute walk to the nearest bus stop. That doesn’t sound very far but it is when it’s tipping it down and you’ve got shopping to carry. If we’re going up to London we can use the bus and it’ll take us right to the railway station. Great, but after a hard day in London the last thing we want to do is hang around for a bus (if they’re still running) when we get back. Both examples illustrate that the bus could be used but it really doesn’t compare to the flexibility of using the car.

One other thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the pleasure a lot of us get from driving. There are still places where it’s possible to drive for an hour or so and never see another car. The freedom that gives us, and the pleasure of finding a beautiful spot to stop in, have a picnic and maybe walk even further into the countryside, is something not to be sniffed at.

These out-of-the-way byroads are there and should be used - if they’re not I fear there’s a real danger of some of them being axed, just as the out-of-the-way railway lines were axed before them.

There are so many examples. I can't get a bust to Bath any more, thanks to council cuts. I can use the park and ride, but it finishes (last time I checked) around 7pm. Which wouldn't be so bad if it just affected evenings, because obviously the centre of the city is quieter in the evenings so cars aren't such an issue, but then I tend to go up in the morning and make a day of it. But I can't use the park and ride, because if I stay and have dinner, I won't be able to get back.

Plus, the cost of the park and ride is actually more expensive that city centre parking if there's more than one of you in the car. Ridiculous, but that's the world we live in. The only thing that will ever change all this is economic pressures. Either fuel will become too expensive, or roads will become impossibly congested.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
1st October 2013ce
15:11

Messages in this topic: