The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: MEGALITHS and MONOLITHS Proof Aliens Exist?
25 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Ah, a circle of holes, I misunderstood, sorry. Although, should there be individual holes at the bottom, and would a round chisel work just as well?

Incidentally, I have a flint "drill" I picked up near Avebury that makes a deep, perfectly round hole in my apple tree and no doubt would do the same in limestone as well.

Well presumably the circular drill marks on the bottom would have been polished out. Actually the principal is exactly the same as I would do being a carpenter if I didn't have the use of a router. I would draw a circle with a compass and use a depth checked drill along it then with a chisel level off the bottom. Easy peasy in timber of course with decent tools.
What sort of diameter if your flint drill Nige? The claim in Egypt was that they used timber sticks (like a dowel) and put a mix of sand and water down to grind a hole through the granite. Can you imagine how long that would take to drill down 4ft and remove a 3ft wide trench all around the obelisk to move around in!! Got to be another way surely!!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
22nd September 2013ce
10:07

Messages in this topic: