The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Liddington Warren Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
Liddington Warren Farm
Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.
47 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
.........You're right that it's best not to close your mind completely and become a professional cynic.

I was just looking at the Long Man of Wilmington, they think that's 1600ish. But there's lots of documentary evidence about it. Which there isn't about these alleged figures...........

.....They've not got the same simple symbolic impact of a single figure. I'd say that was another nail in the coffin of their credibility.

Hi Rhiannon,

I, like June, enjoy your posts very much. There's humour, sarcasm and a bit of good-natured spite thrown in for good measure. Most of all, you speak your mind, and, to me, make sense most of the time. However, don't open your mind too much, or you might fall in! Quite by coincidence, I'm listening to some tunes by Public Image Ltd. and admire John Lydon (Rotten) for the same characteristics. I hope you don't mind me saying that, but it's a big compliment in my book. I'm not referring to the above quotes; for those see below.

As for the points you make, I think that the figures mentioned throughout everyone's posts on this subject may or may not be prehistoric. Possibly they are reworks of prehistoric figures, modified way beyond the originals by "modern" people, and therefore don't resemble anything we could attach to prehistory. I think you're right in saying that there are no neolithic hill figures, so why should this be one. It's an interesting subject.

The Cerne Abbas Giant is a bit of an enigma to me. So many prehistoric sites have been modified/taken over/obliterated by Christians down the centuries. It's hard to see why more modern people, which I would assume to be Christians, would depict a man with a raging hard-on so close to an abbey

As for the original "figure" in question (I'll call him spaceboy), well, it does look a tad contrived, and it can be disproved by investigation. Small town local newspapers always jump on any tiny morsel of "news" they can find, and rightly get the label "local rag", where a cat stuck up a tree or a chip pan fire makes front page news. Some of the "facts" are ridiculous. This so-called figure is obviously in the papers in order to sell copies. They don't actually have to believe in their stories, and most aren't even checked for authenticity. I think one of the easiest jobs in the world is a reporter for a local rag.

All the best,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
21st March 2014ce
22:42

In reply to:

Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington. (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: