The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Liddington Warren Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
Liddington Warren Farm
Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.
47 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
To be honest Tiompan you'd be wasting your time, because any amount of photos showing nothing at all will not convince the Faithful.

Ironically I think the very archive that would assist is actually in Swindon.
http://www.english-heritage.or[...]-and-collections/nmr/archives/ So of course this will already have been checked, before going public in a newspaper. Well probably. Not.

Secret knowledge, it's great isn't it. I know it's 3000 years old. I know it shows an owl and a spaceman. I know it was looked after by pagans for hundreds of years. No I'm afraid I can't show you the photos, they don't come out well in a newspaper apparently. Or now (as we're told above) we're not allowed to see them until the work's published (in which prestigious peer-reviewed journal I do wonder). You'll just have to believe me. Oh and if you're interested I've got a great second hand car you might like.

Ooer! The biting sarcasm Rhiannon. I personally go with your earlier comment elsewhere that it is the 'silly season' for newspapers. The Swindon Advertiser is not always too discerning and will print anything with a local slant to it. Having said that - the Foxhill to Uffington landscape is archaeologically unique, as Tiompian mentioned, for example, the strip lynchets at Bishopstone. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2806561
And the all that is associated with the Ridgeway in that area, including Wayland's Smithy. Just wish the image looked more credible instead something resembling an adolescent fantasy.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
18th August 2013ce
12:31

In reply to:

Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington. (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington. (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: