The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Liddington Warren Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
Liddington Warren Farm
Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.
47 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:

Interesting! If there were to be any parallels I would opt for the Cerne Abbas Giant rather than the legend of Blodeuwedd (the woman created from flowers who was later turned into an owl). Are you saying the photo you have seen is rather different to the image which appears in the news link?

The photo has been well represented by the line drawing shown at that Swindon article. The trouble is, there's a lot of archaeological activity at Foxhill and the big shape that the spear thrower is facing (I think) may be part of an earthwork, and not necessarily a part of the hill figure art? I guess a step towards unraveling some of this would be a proper survey up there, that would at least show up some of the deeper marks so that they can be isolated from the figures, which have entirely vanished now, a disaster.

Cerne Abbas Giant of disputed antiquity, it may be quite recent. However, there is definite prehistoric archaeology at Cerne higher up that hill, which the Giant has (dreadful pun coming up) rather overshadowed. Cerne is an interesting site, there was a vast religious house there til Henry 8 threw his toys out the pram and demolished all the monasteries, after removing all the plate and stripping the roofs of lead of course. I would hazard a guess there was something big going on at Cerne before the Church arrived on the scene, and they 'absorbed' it by dominating the whole area with their presence?

Ric

Reply | with quote
Posted by megalith6
18th August 2013ce
00:17

Messages in this topic: