The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hill-fort Survey
28 messages
Select a forum:
Hmm yes I can see he wants all the information in one place. And it's kind of crowd-sourcing, like Galaxyzoo and so on. But with galaxyzoo and its kind, the amount of info you put in is very small, it only takes you a minute. But the amount of effort they want for this is massive, even for one hillfort. I suppose they might get some uptake from local archaeology societies. But it leaves a slightly odd taste, I think because it's Oxford University and if anyone's got money for research, it's them. But presumeably they're hoping if someone will do all the donkey work for nothing...

Perhaps I sound uncharitable. I mean people put a lot of time and energy into this website, and that's for no other purpose than some vague greater good and the enjoyment of visiting places and sharing that experience. But the oxford project is much more hardcore, they don't make it sound terribly enjoyable and it does smack of saving money somehow.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
8th July 2013ce
10:48

In reply to:

Hill-fort Survey (bawn79)

3 replies:

Re: Hill-fort Survey (bawn79)
Re: Hill-fort Survey (ocifant)
Re: Hill-fort Survey (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: