The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
761 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

It's the precautionary principle. It's that we actually can't and don't know what those things might be. It's like if you spoke to a victorian antiquarian and asked them to not dig up the barrows because they were spoiling the stratigraphy and the carbon dating evidence and the chance of running some geophys over it. He couldn't imagine what you were talking about because to his eyes, he'd found a bit of charred bone and measured a skull's proportions and ooh there's a gold torc, what more would anyone want...........
It's that the 'resource' (ie all the archaeological information under the ground) is finite at Avebury. So yes you can dig (as they did at one part of the purported Beckhampton avenue) but you can only dig a bit at a time. You learn something this time. But you leave a bit left so people can learn stuff in the future. So yes, you can dig, you can 'restore' (provided you know what was originally there to restore it, I suppose) - but you don't take a unique and nationally (internationally?) important site like Avebury and dig it all up, restore it all up, at once.

Have you been reading my mind again? I'd only add 2 small points -

1. it is because of all you've expressed that I tried to say something early on in this discussion to the effect that anything that's done at Avebury has to be a compromise between what we naturally would like to see done in our time and what is left for the future to do better in it's time. A compromise being the only way such irreconcilable interests, those of us and those of posterity, can be eve be resolved.
2. it is why, for the same reason, EH's guff talks of sampling around 2.5% when investigating a site - or it might have been 5%, it's donkeys years since I read it. Anyway, the thinking is well established worldwide, eat only a bit of the pie else there'll be no unchewed pie left for the great grandchildren. And it's important to keep in mind "we" are the minority compared with the future so we ought to take a very modest slice in all fairness.

I think we need to determine what we're specifically concerned with though. Because again, if I understand correctly, it's only medieval archaeology that's at risk. And I have to say, I *personally* rate the importance of the medieval archaeology at Avebury way below the advantage of restoring the stones.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
22nd January 2013ce
16:08

In reply to:

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: