The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
761 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
They ARE both destroying the archaeology. That was precisely my point, did you not look at the document? That's the reason why a responsible archaeologist, thinking about the possibilities of the future, wouldn't go digging up everything all at once. Yes some stones from the beckhampton avenue were excavated, but they didn't go digging up the entire purported line of the stones - that leaves possibilities for the future, the 'sustainability' thing mentioned.

Also, medieval traces have things to tell us too - what about the things we can find out about why the stones were buried in the first place - is that not of interest to the history of Avebury? and illuminates attitudes to the stones in later times?
if you page down there's a section that mentions this
http://www.archaeologyuk.org/ba/ba103/feat2.shtml
(stone destruction)

No, I didn't read the document. I don't have the time currently. Which is why I've repeatedly asked for examples of *what* archaeology is being destroyed. Do we have any specific examples?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
22nd January 2013ce
14:25

In reply to:

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: