The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Is something missing from this debate?
761 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Good try. So you think you speak for all archaeos Nigel? I bet if most were asked to oversee the re-raising of all the stones they couldn't agree fast enough. Same applies to the EKLB as you brought it into the discussion. 'Most' archaeos never get a shot of making a name for themselves and if the project was offered to them they'd jump at the chance I suspect. It didn't stop them 'destroying the archaeology' when they dug for and exposed the stones in the BH avenue did it because it was not destroyed but thoroughly investigated as the work progressed. How come they didn't feel bad about digging there? But that's just my view.

Roy, I know you love Avebury as do others but I don't quite get the urgency to this. All anyone with an opposing view is saying is 'now is not the time' ... for which there are many reasons, most of which Nigel Swift and Rhiannon have detailed in their posts.

Which is well and good, but I've not seen any argument for leaving the stones buried that isn't spurious. Maybe I missed something. What, in your view (and I apologise if I'm asking you to repeat something, but it's a long thread) would be the most compelling reason for leaving the stones buried?

Perhaps I do sound like I'm just being awkward - I have read through LS's piece on HA and of course it is persuasive - he is nothing if not articulate and does know a thing or two about conservation. No argument there. Also no argument that the buried stones should be lifted and erected at some point in the future - when that time comes it will be very exciting for all involved and I'm sure there are younger people here, like Bladup, who may see it happen in their lifetime.

I'm not going to try and list the reasons why it shouldn't be rushed, they have already been stated (better techniques in the future etc). Avebury is part of a World Heritage Site, along with Silbury, WKLB and Stonehenge. I may be wrong on this, I'm sure someone will correct me (and I hope they do if needs be) but I understood this status means nothing substantial should be changed. Would it mean therefore the WHS status would have to be relinquished in order to dig up the stones and erect them - this is a question not a statement. I would be happy to see Avebury further restored and my only point is that this feels as though it belongs to the future. Why the rush?

*Why* does it belong to the future though? *What* archaeology is at risk from re-erection? At *what point* do we decide that current techniques are sufficient to support restoration? LIke yourself, I'm not being awkard - I just struggling to see what the objection is.

I may be totally wrong here but I wonder how much is down soley to money really, or rather the lack of it? If another 'Keiller' appeared and made a one-off offer of unlimited funding for the buried stones to be re-erected by archaeos would it be taken up I wonder or the opportunity rejected?

That's an interesting point. A billionaire sponsor might well focus a few minds.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
22nd January 2013ce
13:30

Messages in this topic: