|One thing that my hopeless English tongue often struggles with is pronouncing place names in Wales and Scotland (let alone Ireland, if I ever get there). I'm gradually improving with Welsh names, although I doubt any Welsh speakers would be impressed. But Gaelic-type names baffle me almost entirely. |
If you're in a car, this may not cause much trouble, but when you have to ask bus drivers to get to places, you need to sort yourself out!
In the paper TMA, Julian sometimes gave helpful indications of how to pronounce site names (like on Lewis, for instance).
I wondered if it would be possible to add a new option to a site's "add" list to include "add pronunciation", like we can currently add alternative spellings. I appreciate that a "misc" post could be added to do the same thing. Just a thought.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by thesweetcheat|
21st October 2012ce
Pronouncing site names (thesweetcheat, Oct 21, 2012, 18:29)
- Re: Pronouncing site names (tiompan, Oct 21, 2012, 18:45)
- Re: Pronouncing site names (bladup, Oct 21, 2012, 19:04)
- Re: Pronouncing site names (CianMcLiam, Oct 21, 2012, 20:03)
- Re: Pronouncing site names (The Eternal, Oct 21, 2012, 22:21)
- Re: Pronouncing site names (supercat, Nov 06, 2012, 17:56)