The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: New Book -
235 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Or[...]?ie=UTF8&qid=1357292619&sr=8-1

Great new book out on the origins of the irish on the 21st Jan 13 - I've it pre-ordered and look forward to it.

It's certainly a minefield [to be sure, to be sure], One day the irish will have it proved to them [genetics] that they're [their ancestors] from the same places that all the first settlers came from [as in the rest of these islands], in the meantime you'll always have people saying they're somehow different to the rest of the people in these islands, I really hope this book goes someway in showing that we ALL share the same mix of ancestors, and that no-one in these islands are that genetically different from anyone else [the only difference is in they're minds], we really need peace [from proof we're all the same] otherwise it looks like all hell is going to break out again.

You won't get too much genetics from Mallory , he "totally distrusts " that approach . Archaeology and linguistics will be basis .

Oh dear, The genetics will have to wait a bit longer then, it worries me when people ignore the genetics because it's often because they don't like what they're been shown, The 3 way combination of Archaeology, linguistics and genetics works pretty well, take one away and it's a different matter don't you think?

The genetic stuff can be incredibly useful as well as divisive .
There's nothing like doing a bit of geneaology (not the same as genetics ) to point out to Protestants and Catholics and anti--semites that that they wouldn't be around around if it wasn't for an ancestor of a different faith .
We are relatively free of that sort of stuff but but eastern Europe is incredibly nationalistic and the zealots leap on the slightest bit of evidence archaeologica ,l genetic or otherwise to proclaim their "rights " to territory or fount of civilisation /knowledge etc .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
4th January 2013ce
12:55

In reply to:

Re: New Book - (bladup)

Messages in this topic: