The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Ireland
235 messages
Select a forum:
Harryshill wrote:
One more thing if you will.

If you were standing in the most ideal of points to see this phenomenon. How far away from that spot could you move and still appear to see the same thing.

I have no idea if what I have asked is feasible, so forgive me if not.

The sun rising at the same spot in the col would be seen as far west as you could go before a hill got in the way ,in this case it looks like at least 15 Km to the eastern Knockmealdown Mountains . If you wanted to see the stone then I'm not sure at what point it would become invisible to the naked eye , pics would be helpful ,although it could be worked out ,you could also be much closer than the viewing spot .
I don't like quoting non authorities but Burl is sometimes regarded as an archaoastronmer and made the comment .”The longer face of single standing stone ,the orientation of of an isolated stone row that happens to be in line with a solar or lunar event cannot be taken as proof that the alignment was intended “ .In this case , he doesn't even mention the type of alignment suggested here as the observation point is a natural feature with no prehisitoric associated with it .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
9th December 2012ce
19:56

In reply to:

Re: Ireland (Harryshill)

2 replies:

Re: Ireland (Harryshill)
Re: Ireland (rockhopper)

Messages in this topic: