The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Ireland
235 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
bawn79 wrote:
.... its hard to get motivated when you seem to be posting stuff that no one will see....

I reckon it's just that sort of stuff we should be posting.... pushing the boundaries of what people know.... just needs some people to go 'hey, that's near me. Why isn't so and so nearby on here, then?'

Yeah, too right. Especially with the Google earth thing to show stuff at a glance. For example, South Wales has been added to extensively site-wise over the last few years, I think it's self-perpetuating because one of us will see what someone else has added and want to go there, then might find another place nearby that isn't on so will add that, etc etc. TMA (book and web) does a great job of showcasing the sites outside Wiltshire and I have to say that the job that Bawn, Ryaner, TheStandingStone and Meic have been doing over the last few years is brilliant and must be encouraging people to get out there, even if they don't post on TMA themselves.

I love looking at maps, but "cairn" on a map could convey anything from a five metre high, 30 metre diameter epic, to a tiny robbed-away collection of stones covered in heather and surrounded by bog. There are no doubt plenty of people in Ireland who would love to visit more places, but don't know where to start. TMA encourages people to make the effort because they can read a description or see a picture of what a map can only show in a very non-specific way.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
21st October 2012ce
15:18

In reply to:

Re: Ireland (GLADMAN)

Messages in this topic: