The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Ireland
235 messages
Select a forum:
I would certainly like to see something like this Bawn. There is quite a lot here but you do have to hunt for it. There are a lot of excellent Irish websites but this one is familiar and easy to use.

I had a fabulous time on the Beara Peninsula earlier in the year - but I didn't know what I didn't know until I got there if that makes sense, its only when you get there and start browsing local book shops that you really find what you need. Here I discovered the relatively unknown Jack Roberts who has written beautiful illustrated maps and guides to ancient sites for Cork and Kerry but who has no internet presence at all.

It would be good to be able to share folk-lore and literature as well. I'm just coming to the end of a book by Frank Delaney called 'Ireland' which tells the history (and prehistory) of Ireland through the medium of story telling - starting with Newgrange. It is also the story of a young man who hears the story teller for the first time as a boy and takes up the mantle as an adult. One sentence I loved "Nor had he found all of the places mentioned in that last chronicle; as yet he had not seen hares dance; as yet he had not spent the night in the warm arms of a stone circle."

I for one would love to see something more visible on the forum that encouraged information sharing about Ireland. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
16th October 2012ce
19:58

In reply to:

Ireland (bawn79)

1 reply:

Re: Ireland (rockhopper)

Messages in this topic: