The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stukeley’s assistant?
18 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
In Plate 10 here of Stukeley’s Abury - A Temple of the British Druids Stukeley? (with hat on and pointing with a stick) seems to be giving instructions to a seated figure who’s drawing one of the megaliths. Stukeley with hat and stick appears in quite a few of his drawings (the one of him of 1723 from the Sanctuary, with Silbury in the background for example) and another of him at the Cove with someone holding something. Yet another showing a figure on one knee pointing at something.

Although I’d always assumed Stukeley did his own drawings perhaps he had an assistant who accompanied him on his trips to Avebury, Stonehenge etc to do them for him. Sorry if that’s already a recognized fact (that he had an assistant) but it hadn’t crossed my mind before...

He has druids in some of the Stonehenge or at least someone who looks like a druid/Robinson Crusoe ,but they are only for scale and colour . I don't think there are any doubts that he did the drawings and if he includes himself it's a self portrait /Hitchcock moment .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
9th September 2012ce
14:33

In reply to:

Stukeley’s assistant? (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Stukeley’s assistant? (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: