The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Short-sighted?
23 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Regarding the terrain, I've been offered the use of a (hush my mouth) 4x4 so would the advice be to accept for certain sites?

That's the thing here everything is so accessible by/from the road ,in that respect it's almost the opposite of bodmin moor where to get to a lot of the places takes a little more effort, i walk all round the place [ i don't drive] but i think most people think the walks from the roads are just the right distance [not to far , not to close], apart from merry maidens [with tregiffian chambered cairn] and lanyon quoit which are right next to the road.

I don't think you need a 4x4 for any Penwith sites. On foot is the best way to approach and I agree with Bladup that they're all relatively close to a road. Also there are very few byways in Penwith, mostly footpaths/bridleways, certainly up on the moors. No-one is likely to thank you for cutting those up with a 4x4. I'll be honest, I would be horrified to see a 4x4 on Nine Maidens Downs.

That's good because my car has lowered suspension (bought it off one of my sons who had it 'boyed up')! I went to a local agricultural show two weeks ago and grounded twice just getting in the makeshift entrance and track. Luckily I'm still sound in wind and limb and enjoy a good hike!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th August 2012ce
07:26

In reply to:

Re: Short-sighted? (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: