The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Dartmoor Forum Start a topic | Search
Dartmoor
On Dartmoor...
4 messages
Select a forum:
Firstly I spent a day soaked to the bone on Dartmoor, but hey... it could have been worse.

I wanted to ask about a few things. Firstly, near where you park at Batworthy Farm there is a natural rock outcrop that we just couldnt resist climbing, especially as we couldnt get any wetter. Behind the outcrop are several stone rows leading towards the natural outcrop that you can even see on Google Earth if you zoom in (they are not on here though).

Then following the Shovel Down row towards Scorhill, There seemed to be endless little cairns and concentric circles, practically everywhere you looked! Sadly I got no photos as the rain was like no other rain experienced by man and I was worried I would drown and my camera would be ruined!!

Finally, around Fernworthy Reservoir we found a stone row or wall made from HUGE blocks that lead away into the water. Then a little further along towards the dam there was a very deep sided circle/ hut, again with large stones. Any guesses? I couldnt believe how much stuff seemed to be in the area!

Reply | with quote
faerygirl
Posted by faerygirl
22nd June 2012ce
16:47

2 replies:

Re: On Dartmoor... (Lubin)
Re: On Dartmoor... (rockhopper)

Messages in this topic: