The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Combend Farm Forum Start a topic | Search
Combend Farm
Re: wrong grid ref?
19 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I think there might be a long barrow at/near Elkstone, but am at work and can't check. There are some stones in the churchyard I keep meaning to have a look at too (from DP Sullivan's Old Stones of Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean).

Will have a look when I get home.

tsc

Right, well I got the book name wrong (it's Old Stones of the Cotswolds & Forest of Dean), but it does have an entry for the churchyard stones at Elkstone, and the entry includes reference to a possible destroyed long barrow:

The Archaeological Record records the possible existence of a long barrow site north west of High Cross as SO964135. All that remains is an elongated oval scatter of limestone in the cultivated field. A standing stone once stood in the field which may have been a stone from the barrow. This was removed and is believed to be the stone now set by the wall. It was once used as a marker for the Coberley Parish boundary (G.T. Harding, July 1961).

However, "Gloucestershire Barrows, Lists: Long Barrows, Gloucestershire", H O'Neill and L.V. Grinsell 1960 (Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society) doesn't mention any long barrow at Elkstone.

I've also checked the 19th century 25" maps and there's no long barrow shown in the vicinity of Elkstone. Interestingly the round barrow in Emma's picture wasn't shown as an archaeological feature (marked "tumulus") into the 20th century. It was shown as a clump of trees prior to that!

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
2nd April 2012ce
19:42

In reply to:

Re: wrong grid ref? (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: wrong grid ref? (Emma A)

Messages in this topic: