The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
83 messages
Select a forum:
rockhopper wrote:
Thank you, that is indeed food for thought. I would certainly agree that many of the stone cairns I have encountered have been vandalised, dug into, and generally disturbed.

I would certainly agree that quite a few cairns I've seen vandalised into 'storm shelters' would appear to serve no real purpose..... being not that far from roads, habitation etc.... almost as if there was a ritualistic 'need' to deface them. I'm not saying there was, mind, since the need to build and interact with cairns appears etched on the human psyche right up to the present day, and this could all be modern. But in the absence of comprehensive records re when these desecrations occurred, is it perhaps a possibility that there was a cult that engaged in hollowing out at least a proportion of the great upland cairns of Britain and Ireland... perhaps akin to uncovering dolmen capstones?

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
10th February 2012ce
22:08

Messages in this topic: