The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
83 messages
Select a forum:
There's nothing marked on the 1847 maps except two nearby trackways which are still evident. The rockfield is in a very exposed location at around 1100ft asl. Theres no sign of habitation such as old foundation marks, either rectangular or circular, no signs of collapse, which can be found at the medeival site at Kilbrien upper(Waterford inventory).
Other rockfields in the Knockmealdowns are even more distinct, with circular and rectangular mounds surrounded by kerbing. Likewise here, there's no sign of walls or habitation. All the rockfields are located in extremely marginal areas where I would imagine life would be very hard indeed.
I've also ruled out the possibilty of cilleens, although there is a slight similarity. The cilleens I've seen to date are much simpler, inasmuch as they use one or two marker stones at most. Hope that helps.

Reply | with quote
rockhopper
Posted by rockhopper
10th February 2012ce
14:42

Messages in this topic: