The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
83 messages
Select a forum:
I've just watched your You Tube video all the way through - didn't want to watch it until I had time to see it all. A wonderful, other worldly landscape which immediately made me think of the sarsen drift valley near Avebury, although the stones very much smaller. I understand Comeragh is glaciated as well.

I agree many of the stone piles look deliberate (especially the mound around seven minutes into the video) and could well be burials. The people burying their dead would not have had to dig too deep as ample supply of stones to pile on a shallow grave. The other possible explanation may be that the stones were harvested for walls, houses (whatever) and certain stones discarded into piles as not suitable - just a thought.

Interesting - thank you (even though you were a little prickly at times). I wish you well in pursuing some formal excavations in the not too distant future.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
9th February 2012ce
19:03

Messages in this topic: