The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: UPLAND LANDSCAPE ALTERATION IN SOUTH EAST IRELAND.
83 messages
Select a forum:
Well I'd agree there are stones which appear to be laid in rectangular and circular formations...there are other stones piled without any seeming regular forethought but not looking entirely natural and yes I'd also agree there is a disorganised untidiness (as nature sometimes does)and there is indeed what looks like an awful lot of stone "movement" and infringement, compared to other mass internment sites but is this ancient or relatively newly done? So it is intriguing to us non-experts.. but is this enough evidence for the "experts" to whet their appetite for further exploration(and should it be) if it is a possible necropolis?...Have there been any finds of grave goods in and around any of the formations as a few would have risen to the surface in a possible graveyard of this size?

Is there any way of dating when the stones were laid(if laid we agree they were) as they are...I suppose moss formations/patterns etc would be a definitive way of dating...I'm sure there are more experienced voices out there.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
8th February 2012ce
17:56

Messages in this topic: