The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The young versus the old
90 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:

Yes of course we need knowledgeable presenters, but change is inevitable whether we like it or not. The young though have a right to these jobs as well, this idea that intellectual content must only come from those well versed over many years in their subject forgets that we all have to learn.
What I was arguing about is the need to make way by older people for the young to get a foothold in the market.
I can get just as ratty as anyone else about the 'youth' and the way tv is going downmarket, but it's subjective, it is just society moving on in a different manner whether I like it or not...

Wish I'd never put this news up in the first place;)

You shouldn't feel like that Moss, it sparked a lively debate and this forum has been in the doldrums. The problem is that there are so many sub-agendas to this issue and none of them have got anything to do with Mike Aston personally. I've already commented that if a female presenter has a Master's degree in anthropology/archaeology then why is the media bigging up the fact she once did some modelling .. as though that is what defines her. Conversely it is a sad fact that many female presenters have been replaced in the past by a younger version simply because they were getting 'past their sell by date'. This just doesn't happen to men - John Humphries for example is in his seventies.

Your posts are always thought provoking so don't stop making them.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
15th February 2012ce
21:07

Messages in this topic: