The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Support needed for Wiltshire Heritage Museum
25 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
They shouldn't have to be begging for money and lining people up for benefit gigs! Bugger that. The government / local government should be giving them the money to look after Wiltshire's prehistory - you know, Wiltshire, wot contains Stonehenge and Avebury and the Bush Barrow treasure?? Like some of the most impressive prehistoric things in the country?? This isn't some little half-arsed local museum! The Country should be looking after this. Especially as loads of money is going to be piled into the new stonehenge Theme Park.

that's my opinion anyway. If this country doesn't think its culture and history is worth funding why don't we just flog all the treasure to the highest bidder on ebay. I mean for goodness sake. It makes you want to spit.

I probably need some dinner actually.

I totally agree with you but it was just an idea and something I've been involved with before. It's not begging for money and never know some of the people who go to these things might come back for another look. But I agree, I don't know if England is different from Scotland, the govt (regardless of country) should look after these places properly. But when they don't it's up to the locals, regardless of where they come from, to stand up and try and keep what they have before it vanishes. Archaeolink might have gone but Duff House was saved, and we're still fighting Trump with very little support and sometimes direct action is better than no action.

Reply | with quote
drewbhoy
Posted by drewbhoy
4th January 2012ce
20:23

Messages in this topic: