The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey
43 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Would it be fair to say that it's likely that erecting a wooden post, is easier than erection a standing stone.

And carving soft stone is easier than carving wood?

Well both involve digging a hole of course so I suppose it would only be the transportation of the stone or timber and the size hole required for either that would answer your first question.

Given that the tool available 12,000+ years ago used would probably be flint or quartz, then yes I guess the soft stone. Tiompan has carved stone but I haven't so it would only be my opinion based on my knowledge of timber amd limited knowledge of working with stone.

In this National Geographic show, at the 20:00 mark, someone attempts to carve limestone using stone tools that would have been available at GT. He seems to be making headway very quickly. I imagine a master artist would be more skilled and faster, especially with an apprentice nearby to sharpen the tools for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioFsVSaDiw

Reply | with quote
Posted by GodfatherND
24th December 2012ce
23:57

In reply to:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: