The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey
43 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Hi GodfatherND (and welcome to TMA :-)

Sanctuary, or someone more au fait with jointing techniques, can probably clarify what’s going on at Stonehenge, but my understanding is that, “...mortise-and-tenon joints secure lintels to supporting sarsens, while tongues similar to toggle joints link each lintel in the outer circle to its neighbor." (Elizabeth L. Newhouse, ed. The Builders, Marvels of Engineering. Washington, D.C.: The National Geographic Society, 1992. p205).

The point I was trying to make (not very clearly I’m afraid) was that the mortise-and-tenon joints are (as would be expected) more rounded, less angular, as they are in woodworking. Apart from the extra effort involved in producing angular wood-type joints in stone there would just be little to be gained in doing so. The converse is true – wood lends itself more easily to angular working.

I think it’s always been assumed that the mortise-and-tenon joints at Stonehenge were imitating a woodworking tradition. What I’m suggesting is that it may have been the other way round – ie that the mortise-and-tenon joints that we are now so familiar with in woodworking may have followed on, not preceded, a much older stone-based technique.

LS there are examples of mortise and tenon in wood pre -dating Stonehenge e.g. http://www.world-archaeology.com/news/neolithic-treasure-chest/ .

Just a small point but the correct spelling for the joint is Mortice with a c not as s.
There are three types of mortice and tenon joints. The standard joint when the tenon extends to the full depth of the timber and is wedged from either side of its width...the same type but the tenon extends beyond the width of the timber and a square hole cut through it to accept a wedge. This is/was used a lot in roofing and in ship building. The third is the stub tenon which only extends to a chosen depth into the receiving timber and does not go right through. Of course there are slight variations on each one (especially when you are an apprentice and cock it up!!!) LOL

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
24th December 2012ce
12:03

In reply to:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: