The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey
43 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
BuckyE wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Over twelve and a half thousand years old (and there are lots still there). Jeeze...

And the most amazing thing about its age is its (yet to be found) predecessors' (implied) ages. The carving and architecture of the four large structures are obviously the result of a multi-generational trial and training effort. So the beginnings of this megalithic culture have to be much older than GT.

Jeeze... yes, hadn’t thought of that. Reliefs with that sort of sophistication must have needed centuries to evolve - though not necessarily evolve in stone. The prototypes may have been carved in wood.

We talk about the carving in stone. If that wasn't hard enough 12,500+ years ago imagine what it was like in wood with no 'tools' as such! I completed my apprenticeship as a joiner in a workshop with no electical tools and I can tell you it was damn hard work for a lad, and that was with decent hand tools, not lumps of flint or rocks! Timber may be soft compared to rock but it's no easy material to work with without highly sharpened tools. It's one thing cutting down a tree with a flint axe but just try carving some to a good standard with the same equipment. Feel free to try it any time :-)

The few representational wood carvings that have survived eg.
http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-190-001-098-C
http://www.devonheritage.org/P[...]eigntonIdolbyRichardHarris.htm
are pretty rough .

Yes and you'll notice that all the 'work' is done with the grain and not against it.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
24th December 2012ce
06:35

In reply to:

Re: Gobekli Tepe...Turkey (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: