The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Seaford Head Bowl Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Seaford Head Bowl Barrow
Re: You Really Couldn't Make It Up....
9 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I was up on Minchinhampton Common a couple of weekends ago (when it was still sunny) and noticed there is a much denuded long barrow on the edge of a golf course. The other place I can think of is the hill fort at Painswick Beacon which forms part of a golf course.

Yes, the long barrow is right in the course (I think they may have stopped using the green next to it). Painswock is terrible, because it's such a great site otherwise. Cleeve Hill has a golf course next to the fort as well. Then there's the Bromfield barrows near Ludlow (if you don't get hit by a golf ball you might get run over by a racehorse). Some coastal barrows we found on the Lizard this summer are on a course too. There are plenty of Scottish examples too. Can't think of any as badly treated as this one of Gladman's though.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
9th October 2011ce
18:47

Messages in this topic: