The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Rab C. Real Rockart vs Eastenders Non-Rock Art
170 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
I can confirm Tiompan's description of the Crosswood slab's problematic positioning with regard to photographing the beautiful, elaborate motifs... After a marshy hike up this morning, the view 30 miles North to the Ochil Hills beyond Stirling was considerably clearer than my own close-up photos of the real rock art on the hill above Crosswood Reservoir. Cossack impersonations Tiompan? It was four litres of water from my rucksack, 45 minutes standing in the rain, flat grey cloudy 11 am light and I was doin' pas de basques in my hiking boots and hi-viz vest. Truly upsetting for around and I still couldn't get the light or any definition!

Just spotted this H.D .

A return visit in frozen blue skied december beckons ,eh ?

Aye methinks so. I'll certainly return again. But even then I'm not too sure whether even the most frozen, bluest December day ever will do the trick. The slab's current position (facing roughly South) means it is getting light directly onto its vertical surface all day and with the best will in the world, the shadows just ain't gonna be coaxed out very easily. By contrast the East facing, gently angled, sloping aspect of the slab with the Barharrow 7 spiral near Twynholm on Saturday morning was fairly easy to coax a nice picture or two from.
I was sooo tempted to chuck some dirt onto the Crosswood slab's decorated face and then half- rinse it off to get some kinda vague outline for a photo(I didn't of course). Given that the slab was only carted to its present position 35 years ago, is it beyond the realms of a workmanlike solution to reposition it to (say) by a few inches and degrees into a slightly more East-facing or West-facing resting place, where its near-invisible artwork could be revealed more fully?
Such are the rum thoughts which filled me on my descent.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
20th September 2011ce
15:55

Messages in this topic: