The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Rab C. Real Rockart vs Eastenders Non-Rock Art
170 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
Hey ! Is Slaggyford in Scotland now? Please start your own topic >

Nah. It's never been in Scotland, though I think it was part of the Scottish Royalty's Southern Estates or something about a thousand years ago.

This forum topic had mentioned a drystane dyker who had actually discovered real rock art. This real rock art was found built into a dyke at Dunsyre (S Lanarkshire) in Scotland. Other nearby real rock art examples include Crosswood (West Lothian) and Lamancha (Scottish Borders). I had pointed out that we only had a few examples here in South Lanarkshire (3 in total), and Tiompan had pointed out that while there are only a few examples - they are all elaborate.

I can confirm Tiompan's description of the Crosswood slab's problematic positioning with regard to photographing the beautiful, elaborate motifs... After a marshy hike up this morning, the view 30 miles North to the Ochil Hills beyond Stirling was considerably clearer than my own close-up photos of the real rock art on the hill above Crosswood Reservoir. Cossack impersonations Tiompan? It was four litres of water from my rucksack, 45 minutes standing in the rain, flat grey cloudy 11 am light and I was doin' pas de basques in my hiking boots and hi-viz vest. Truly upsetting for around and I still couldn't get the light or any definition!

Anyway, Tiompan started this topic and it was he who had introduced the Dunsyre example of a piece of actual real rock art being found by a drystane dyker. I played my own small part in the recovery of the Dunsyre portable and have every right to contribute to the topic thread. This is not your thread or topic Stonegloves.

Just spotted this H.D .

I tend to ignore the cheek and ignorance and forgot that I had even started the thread but asking to start another ' fits in with the "my stones and "my sites " mentality , even though they are imaginary .

A return visit in frozen blue skied december beckons ,eh ?

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
19th September 2011ce
17:28

Messages in this topic: