The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Astronomer On The Downs
170 messages
Select a forum:
The only Klaus I know is called Schulzie.

The roundhouse doorway faces in the same direction - but has a much better view of the skyline. The night of the full moon at full southern rising I was too tired to go down to the stone rows at Thornhope. Twenty five minutes there, in the gloaming, and then an hour back in the moonlight. I stayed on the fell and put my back against a boundary stone built into the wall and waited what seemed like a pretty long time. I got up and walked about to get warm two or three times. Then the moon came up - unexpectedly - huge - and warm. Now I wish I'd gone down to Thornhope and seen what's left of the row do what it was designed to.

It's odd that the man that owns Amos Hill wouldn't let anyone anywhere near it. It's close enough to the house for the dogs to pick up the sounds of a person pretty fast. One might expect some bits of old stone built into the fieldwalls nearby - I could probably get close enough but anyone else? Rock art surveyors from the city ? His dad did say that his ancestors were under the pile - he was true about everything else! At least it'll not get bulldozed ...

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
18th September 2011ce
20:31

In reply to:

Re: Down On The Astronomers (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: