The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Down On The Astronomers
170 messages
Select a forum:
Yes, our explanation for the placename Glendue is that there were Scottish miners working there. There's some Flemish placenames not far away that are more positively attributed - with mining leases. But mention of Glendue Burn led me to a geologists report, from the 1980s, which I hadn't read before. They cite two more copper workings in the Knar valley and name the feature that bears the ore as the Faugh Cleugh Fault. It's good to have stuff written down as we know the seam of ore by another name.

If your figure of 2.14 for the elevation of the horizon, from the larger stone row at Thornhope, is in degrees then you have a 100% error in your workings out. It's actually about twice that figure - say a touch less than five degrees. It's because of the copper workings that these monuments were constructed. Of course the archaeologists will only believe there's copper if the source is referenced in a scientific document. A local history book is not good enough. If I hadn't been looking for the placename of Glendue then I wouldn't have found the DTI commissioned survey. One step at a time !

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
18th September 2011ce
16:33

In reply to:

Re: Down On The Astronomers (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Down On The Astronomers (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: