The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Down On The Astronomers
170 messages
Select a forum:
"Glendue Fell is still the horizon and the orientation is still too far north".

The local historians wonder how somewhere near the border of Cumbria and Northumberland achieved a Scottish name (and there is no consensus). My azimuth for the summere solstice sunset - without correction for the altitude of the horizon - is 313.91 degrees. It is confusing that part of Glendue Fell is called Black Fell and that the hill in front of it is called Black Hill. These are ordnance survey names and the local farmers use different ones. Hanging Shaw allotment, for instance.

It's odd that I watched many years sunsets in that place and that you are telling me what I can't have seen. It's a bit back to front. (It's a lot back to front). It's odd that I didn't photograph any sunsets, only sunrises. So now you're saying that what I saw is impossible, because the sun doesn't go that far north? And you're saying that the sun sets behind Glendue Fell and not behind Black Hill? I'd suggest you check your data points. From the Knar valley, on the south side, where I'd often work, we'd watch the sunsets moving further north. Eventually they'd reach this huge pile of stones, on the horizon. Then the sunsets would move away again, back to the south. Then they took the pile of stones away and made a road with it. I was told that if I interfered with the roadmaking I would disappear. That's not in your GoogleEarth!

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
18th September 2011ce
09:38

In reply to:

Re: Down On The Farm (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Down On The Astronomers (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: