The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: The precious stones ...
170 messages
Select a forum:
"Have you got the data for the azi , alt and dec ?"

Somewhere, yes. It is also possible to calculate it from an OS map easily enough, but why bother?

"Do you think there might be some intentionality about the the possible "alignment " ?"

The line of stones is about fifty metres in length, with a plan view of an extended 'Z'. Like the high tension glyph - lightning bolt. There are stones in all directions, only one is upright. It seems quite clear that it has been a stone row - but the archaeologists said it was a medieval field wall remnant. In those days, in those parishes the medieval field boundaries were hedgebanks (and one or two remain). There are two short rows of little stones and the archaeologists said 'yes, they are probably stone rows'. One cleverly indicates both the sunrise on the shortest day and the sunset on the longest day. It's a straight line but the horizons are uneven.

There's more - there's a roadway to a dirty great round mound of earth, the size of Knowth. After the archaeologists told me the stone row was a fieldwall I just left them in the field and walked off to see my upcoming summer's work. I didn't take them along the trackway to see this huge mound, which has the local reputation of being a burial mound. The farmer that owns it is very hostile and will chase off unwelcome visitors with a shotgun. (His dad was my friend and mentor).

I've described how to get to the Slaggyford stone rows half a dozen times on here - nobody's been yet. The site is overlooked by a massive 'brooding' hill - Black Hill - which has an almost perfect rounded form, from there. There are some embankments and ditches in the same field, in a trapezoid shape. These are listed on the SMR (as embankments) and could possibly be the remants of a Roman marching camp. There is an ancient trackway that runs past the site - the Maiden Way - and this is accepted to have been improved by the romans - I've come across their cobbles a foot below ground surface, while renovating a barn workshop nearby. It's the Pennine Way now and I used to have a woodfired pottery in an old cottage in the village, when I was young, before I took up building with stones.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
12th September 2011ce
17:17

In reply to:

Re: The precious stones ... (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: The precious stones ... (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: