The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: My precious finds ...
170 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
"That is total nonsense "

Which part of those three paragraphs is total nonsense? All of it? Or just some of it? I'm beginning to suspect you must be one of the TMA Eds - I had assumed you were Dr George Nash, from your authoritative tone. Describing views as total nonsense just closes down discussion and, yes, I need to spend more time writing. Letters mainly ...

Getting back to this collection of stones. There's six or seven of them, in a band sixty, seventy, metres wide and a hundred and fifty long, going down a hillside. There's only photographs of one of these stones, now, on the site page. It seems to me pointless and futile to express an opinion on all of the stones on the basis of my poor images. Context, as they say, is everything.

The carved stones in the Knar valley are not at all spectacular. I have never claimed that they were. Only two, out of thirty or forty, have ever been visited. Only a (fill in the blank) would draw conclusions about all of them based on the evidence of just two. There are some unique features about some of the stones - but nobody is going to go and look. I've been encouraging others for years to go and take a look, without success.

Your friends, that bagged one of my little rocks, was the closest anyone has got. Pebblethief, Rockartwolf and Hob just nibbled at the edges, with Tortie and Hartleyburn Common. So, my stuff is still in the ignored category. Your view of how finds are developed is true when the finds don't upset anyone's territory.

I thought it would be clear by my response what part of your post I was referring to but to clarify . It was in realtion to "There are said to be three stages of response following new discoveries. Silence, ridicule and hearty acceptance. A person finding a cup and ring marked stone on the moors of North Yorkshire might expect the three stages to occur quite rapidly - in a couple of weeks. A person finding something that has not previously been seen before might expect to wait years or even decades ... "
The response can be found at http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]m/?thread=63605&message=809614

The images you have posted are all I can judge , and they are not rock art . There may well huge amounts of rock art in the area we have not been presented with any evidence of it from you . Proximity to rock art does not make non marked rocks genuine .
If you find some genuine rock art , it does not have to be spectacular , and post the pics you it will be accepted , simple . Possibly getting some experience in seeing the real thing in the field might help .As yet you failed to show any evidence of having found any genuine man made rock art and have merely been abusive and bitter about the fact that these examples you have made claims for are clearly natural.

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
12th September 2011ce
13:53

In reply to:

Re: My precious finds ... (StoneGloves)

1 reply:

My precious stones ... (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: