The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: My precious finds ...
170 messages
Select a forum:
"That is total nonsense "

Which part of those three paragraphs is total nonsense? All of it? Or just some of it? I'm beginning to suspect you must be one of the TMA Eds - I had assumed you were Dr George Nash, from your authoritative tone. Describing views as total nonsense just closes down discussion and, yes, I need to spend more time writing. Letters mainly ...

Getting back to this collection of stones. There's six or seven of them, in a band sixty, seventy, metres wide and a hundred and fifty long, going down a hillside. There's only photographs of one of these stones, now, on the site page. It seems to me pointless and futile to express an opinion on all of the stones on the basis of my poor images. Context, as they say, is everything.

The carved stones in the Knar valley are not at all spectacular. I have never claimed that they were. Only two, out of thirty or forty, have ever been visited. Only a (fill in the blank) would draw conclusions about all of them based on the evidence of just two. There are some unique features about some of the stones - but nobody is going to go and look. I've been encouraging others for years to go and take a look, without success.

Your friends, that bagged one of my little rocks, was the closest anyone has got. Pebblethief, Rockartwolf and Hob just nibbled at the edges, with Tortie and Hartleyburn Common. So, my stuff is still in the ignored category. Your view of how finds are developed is true when the finds don't upset anyone's territory.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
12th September 2011ce
13:26

In reply to:

Re: My precious finds ... (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: My precious finds ... (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: