The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: My precious finds ...
170 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
"Is rock-art (esp cups and rings)...representative, communicative or aesthetic and will we ever know?"

It continues up until the present day. People are still making Rock Art, of various forms, right now. There's not many of them, and they're not working in a tradition, generally, but it is still going. The gargoyles and flourishes on ancient churches are rock art. So are the Celtic Heads.

The cup and ring motif is well known and easily recognised. Cupmarks, of various form, are found around the world. They are generally assumed to be prehistoric, but that is because they are associated with other ancient monuments. Some of the English cupmarks attributed as prehistoric might even be medieval (or later).

There are said to be three stages of response following new discoveries. Silence, ridicule and hearty acceptance. A person finding a cup and ring marked stone on the moors of North Yorkshire might expect the three stages to occur quite rapidly - in a couple of weeks. A person finding something that has not previously been seen before might expect to wait years or even decades ...

That is total nonsense , if the find is genuine it will be accepted for what is , instantly by the community and in the case of Discovery and Excavation Scotland in print within 18 months and in Canmore within much the same period . In hundreds of examples of finds , "that have never been seen before " I have never had any such problem but that may be because they are genuine and in the few cases there is any doubt the word possible gets used .If it is not genuine it will be politely ignored and if the finder continues to makes claims for it's authenticity it will be reviewed ,if after that they continue to to make similar claims they will probably get a reputation but even then any new sugestion will still be looked at .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
12th September 2011ce
08:47

In reply to:

My precious finds ... (StoneGloves)

1 reply:

Re: My precious finds ... (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: